Russian Carrot Pie
1 nut crust or potato crust (see below)
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup onions, finely-minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lb. carrots, very thinly-sliced
- 1 Tbs. unbleached white flour
- 1 ½ cups firm cottage (or pot) cheese
- ½ cup grated mild white cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- lots of freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dill weed
- 3 Tbs. wheat germ
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet. Add onions and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft (5-8 minutes).
- Add carrots, stir, and sprinkle in the flour. Cook and stir until the carrots are tender but not mushy. Add up to 3 Tbs. of water, if the mixture seems to be sticky, a little at a time. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cheeses and the egg. Add the cooked carrot mixture and beat well. Stir in black pepper and dill. Spread into your crust.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with wheat germ and paprika. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 F, then turn down to 350 F., and bake another 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting it.
Mashed Potato Crust
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup finely minced raw onions
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Scrub the potatoes, cut them into chunks, and boil them until soft.
- Combine mashed potatoes with butter, salt, pepper and onion. Mix well.
- Sculpt into crust in pre-buttered 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake 45 minutes. Halfway through the baking, lightly brush with oil.