Butter or Oil for greasing the baking sheet
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups grated beets (1-2 medium sized beets)
2 cups grated carrots ( about 4 carrots)
1/2 cup minced onion (about 1 medium onion)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with butter
2. Place a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and stir them on the dry skillet just until lightly browned and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes, watchling closely to avoid burning them. Immediately transfer them to a dish to cool.
3. Add the sunflower seeds and stir them on the skillet just until lightly browned and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning them. Immediately transfer them to the dish with the sesame seeds.
4. After grating the carrots and beets, combine them with the onion in a large bowl. Stir in the toasted sunflower and sesame seeds, eggs, rice, grated cheddar cheese, oil, flour, parsley, soy sauce, and garlic. Add cayenne and mix until thoroughly combined.
5. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 12 patties and arrange them in rows on the baking sheet.
6. Bake the patties until brown around the edges, about 20 minutes.